FOSPICE AND HOSPICE RESOURCE DIRECTORY
QUALITY OF LIFE GUIDES
- 5 H 2 M Scale by Dr. Alice Villalobos
- Journeys Quality of Life Scale by Dr. Katie Hilst (includes both an online calculator and link to download)
- Quality of Dying Checklist – – guidance on what to look for at end of life
ABOUT HOSPICE CARE AND END OF LIFE
- Caregiver Education – Animal Hospice by Brighthaven
- End of Life FAQ for Families by Lap of Love
- A Dying Pet and Owner Bill of Rights
EOL FINANCIAL SUPPORT
VETERINARIANS AND THERAPEUTIC CARE
- NYC Local:
- NYC Borough Directory – Emergency Vets
CONVENTIONAL AND PALLIATIVE MEDICINE
- Dr. Wendy McCulloch, Home Vets NYC – standard and holistic vet services, in-home hospice, focus on seniors
- Dr. Mathew Nebel, Visiting Vet NYC – in-home standard vet services, euthanasia
QUALITY OF LIFE AND EUTHANASIA
- In-Home Pet Euthanasia Directory
- Lap of Love Veterinary Hospice Directory of Veterinarians
- Dr. Wendy McCulloch, Pet Requiem – in-home quality of life and euthanasia, serving New York City
- Dr. Donna O’Leary, Pet Loss at Home – in-home quality of life and euthanasia; serving Long Island, Staten Island, and some areas of Brooklyn
- Dr. Avra Frucht, Visiting Vet of NYC – in-home standard and senior care, in-home hospice, and euthanasia; serving Manhattan
- Tranquil Paws Veterinary – offers clinic and at-home options. Includes acupuncture, TCM, laser therapy, and pain management; serving Manhattan, the outer boroughs, Westchester, Rockland, and northern New Jersey.
- Zen Dog Veterinary Care – offers acupuncture, physical therapy, Chinese herbs, quality of life evaluation, and in-home euthanasia. Additional fee of $100 for at-home visits. Serving NYC, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, and Westchester
- Dr. Lisa Fiorenza at Brooklyn Vet Group – in addition to conventional vet care, also offers acupuncture, Chinese food therapy, essential oils, herbs, and myofascial work
- Holistic Vet Care – offers homeopathy, acupuncture, cold laser, cranial sacral, reiki, and nutritional therapies, in addition to vet care. Located in lower Manhattan.
OTHER COMPLEMENTARY THERAPIES
- Water Therapy
- Water 4 Dogs, Tribeca Manhattan – water therapy, massage, and physical therapy
- Donna Gallers, LMT, Reiki Practitioner for both humans and animals – offers both distant and in-person treatments.
CREMATION AND BURIAL
Note on Laws:
In NY, NJ, and CT there is no law prohibiting the burial of a pet, so long as its private property; pets must be buried within 24-28 hours of death (in most circumstances). In some cases, they may also be disposed with household waste.
PET CEMETERIES AND CREMATORIUMS
- All City Pet Cremation – private cremation and burial options, serving NY and NJ areas. Will pick up and deliver remains. Open 24 hours.
- Hartsdale Pet Cemetery, Hartsdale, NY – individual cremation and burial; option for human to be buried in cemetery with animal. Oldest Pet Cemetery in the US.
- Pet Haven Services – private cremation, cemetery is in the Poconos. Will pick up and deliver remains, serves NY Tristate area. Open 24 hours.
- Regency Forest Pet Memorial Park, Long Island – cemetery and crematorium, serving NY Tristate area. Will pick up and deliver remains.
- Pine Pet Cemetery and Cremation Center – DAYTON, OH – cemetery and crematorium with option for humans to be buried with animal. Recommendation from Fospice FB member.
URNS AND KEEPSAKES
Memorialization Ideas by The Tilly Project
Art From Ashes – handcrafted glass memorial art made with your pet’s ashes
Amanda Moeckel @ My Animal Art – custom portraits of pets in a range of styles and sizes
CREMATION ASHES TATTOO ARTISTS
PET LOSS SUPPORT COUNSELING AND GROUPS
- Lap of Love Pet Loss Support – post and anticipatory grief, also group for children and families (6-week course $149, individual $50 for 50 minutes, and group –free)
- Tails From Heaven Pet Loss Counseling – individual for anticipatory grief and aftercare + vet practice support. Counselor was previously a vet assistant for 17 years. Recommended by someone who is active in the fospice community and member of Fospice FB group.
- Partnership for Health, Stacie Woodland, LCSW, CG-C, PGRS-C – one-on-one for adults, children, and families; provider is active in the rescue hospice community and member of Fospice FB group.
- Pet Loss Support Hotline – Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University
- Pet Loss Support Hotline – Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine
- Beyond the Paw Print: Facebook Pet Loss Support Group
IAAHPC Member Hospice Directory: https://community.iaahpc.org/search/custom.asp?id=5952 (includes veterinarians, grief/mental health, aftercare)
LOCAL NY RESCUES THAT TAKE IN HOSPICE ANIMALS